Nestled amidst the alpine lakes and lush forests of northwest Montana, the Tobacco Valley is one of the nation’s most magnificent landscapes. But us locals know that the region has more to offer than just its unparalleled natural beauty.
In the long winter months, there are countless events, attractions, and activities to enjoy within a few hours from our front door. Here are just a few of our favorites!
For the Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Take in all of the beautiful sights the Tobacco Valley has to offer with a drive along the Lake Koocanusa Scenic Byway. This 67-mile route is open year-round and follows the Kootenai River and Lake Koocanusa via State Highway No. 37, connecting Libby and Eureka.
- Here in the Tobacco Valley, we are lucky to have Glacier National Park just a short drive away! The park is packed with outdoor adventures like dog sledding, ice climbing, and snowshoeing, as well as numerous lodging and dining options.
- Pack up your gear and hit the road for a winter ski trip! Great options within a day’s drive of the Tobacco Valley include Dog Creek Lodge (Olney), Turner Mountain Ski Area (Libby), Whitefish Mountain Resort (Whitefish), and Blacktail Mountain Ski Area (Lakeside).
- Cruise the backcountry of northwest Montana with a Dog Sled Adventure near Whitefish. With nearly 130 Alaskan huskies, owner Jeff Ulsamer and crew can handle families or groups of any size.
- Snowshoe, hike, or fat tire bike the Whitefish Trail in Whitefish.
- Rent a snowmobile from Northwest Montana Adventures and soak up the spectacular views near Olney. Half- and full-day options are available and suitable for anyone, from amateurs to experts.
- Enjoy a sleigh ride at Cripple Creek Horse Ranch (Trego).
For the Art Aficionados
- Attend a performance or participate in a workshop at Sunburst Arts & Education, located right in Eureka.
- Rock out to some live music at one of the Tobacco Valley’s many bars and venues.
- Enroll in a class at Creative Arts Eureka. With offerings like piano, ballet, art, and yoga, everyone can pick up a new skill (or practice an old one)!
For the Whole Family
- Plan a day trip to a regional museum, like the Stonehenge Air Museum, home of over two dozen vintage aircraft including the world’s only airworthy Mk 47 Seafire.
- Learn about the flora and fauna of northwest Montana at the Summit Nature Center, located on the lower level of the Summit House in Whitefish.
- Start a new family tradition and support a good cause by attending an annual fundraiser, like the Ten Lakes Snowmobile Club Fun Run and Benefit on the first Saturday of February, or the Friends of the Shelter Winter Warmer Fundraiser on the fourth Saturday of February.
For the Romantics
- Indulge in a delicious winter beverage at one of our many local breweries, cideries, or distilleries, including Koocanusa Brewery (Eureka), Stahl Peak Distillery (Eureka), Sacred Waters Brewery (Kalispell), Cabinet Mountain Brewing Co. (Libby), Big Mountain Ciderworks (Kalispell), or Glacier Distilling Company (Coram).
- Rest, recharge, and treat yourself to a restorative massage at an area spa, like Relics Retreat (Eureka), Symes Hot Springs Hotel & Mineral Baths (Hot Springs), or The Firebrand Hotel (Whitefish).
- Enjoy a change of scenery with a date night in the woods! Build a winter fire and cozy up for a night in a mobile cabin at ROAM Beyond (with locations in Glacier and Whitefish) or a Yurt Rental at Northwest Montana Adventures in Olney.
- Rest up in a cozy cabin and wake up to mountain views with a glamping trip at Tobacco River Ranch in Eureka!
- Tired of eating out? Up your own culinary game with a cooking class at Trovare in Whitefish. Learn tasty food preparation techniques and enjoy a generous tasting of each dish.
Whether you’re in the mood for an outdoor adventure, arts and entertainment, or some family-friendly fun, there is something for everyone in and around the Tobacco Valley this winter.